This post has already been read 2166 times!
Fidelis Soriwei, Tunde Ajaja and Kayode Idowu
The troops of the Nigerian Army have recovered large cache of arms and ammunition from the Boko Haram insurgents in Gursum, Borno State.
The Theatre Commander, Operation Lafiya Dole, Maj. Gen. Lucky Irabor, said this in the text of a press briefing on the recovered arms and ammunition, forwarded to our correspondent that the troops recovered the items following a tip off.
He said that the troops and some members of the civilian JTF were mobilised for a clearance operation at Borgozo-Alargana following the intelligence, where the items were recovered.
According to him, the items recovered included 36 boxes of .51mm calibre, 5 x 20 Lyra beefcake mixture of 7.62mm (NATO) ammunition, large quantity of 7.62mm (Special), ammunition and one 81mm mortar tube.
He added that the troops also recovered one Toyota Hilux, a generator and several motorcycles.
Irabor said that the patrol team also cleared some remnants of the Boko Haram who were dislodged from Alagarno and were in three camps at Kadari, Abu Fayima and Gursum.
He appealed to Nigerians especially in the three states of Adamawa, Borno and Yobe to continue to provide useful information to the security agencies to enable them to complete the clearance of the insurgents from all their hideouts in the area.
“Following a tip off troops of Operation Lafiya Dole and some Civilian JTF today (Sunday) went on a clearance patrol to Borgozo-Alargano general area in which they discovered large cache of arms and ammunition concealed by Boko Haram terrorists.
“The patrol team also cleared remnants of Boko Haram terrorists that were dislodged from Alagarno forest hibernating at Kadari, Camp Abu Fatima and Gursum.
“The Nigerian Army wishes to appeal to all Nigerians and in particular, the good people of Adamawa, Borno and Yobe states to continue to provide useful information to troops in order to facilitate complete routing of the remnants of Boko Haram insurgents hiding in their localities,” he said.
Meanwhile, the leader of the BringBackOurGirls advocacy group, Dr. Oby Ezekwesili, says the initial inaction of the government to confront and take genuine actions against the Boko Haram militant group escalated the attacks so far perpetrated by the sect.
She said if the government had swung into action when 29 school boys of the Federal Government College, Buni Yadi, Yobe State, were slaughtered and burnt by the militants, the activities of the sect might have been curtailed. She noted that only a nation that sees no value in its citizens could afford to ignore them.
Addressing worshippers at the Daystar Christian Centre, Lagos, on Sunday on the commemoration of the second year anniversary since over 297 school girls were kidnapped from the Government Secondary School in Chibok, Borno State, Ezekwesili regretted that it was about the same time the “abominable act” in Yobe was perpetrated by the sect that the Federal Government still went ahead with the centenary celebration.
“Even some of my colleagues in the global community that came for the centenary celebration apologised, saying they couldn’t understand why the centenary celebration went on despite the attack, but that by virtue of their offices, they had to attend the event,” she added.
She said such an act by the government could have given the militants the leeway to carry out more attacks.
She added, “Since they (Boko Haram) got away with their action the first time and nothing was done about it, they increased the number of their targets the second time. No wonder, less than two months after, on April 14, 2014, 276 girls were kidnapped in Chibok, out of which 57 managed to escape and 219 are still being held captive.
“When people behave badly and there is no consequence, you have given them a licence for worst behaviour. If the Chibok girls were the children of the elites, a distress call about their abduction would have received a speedy response.”
Ezekwesili, who is a former Minister of Education and Vice President of the World Bank, vowed that nothing would make her to stop talking about the girls until justice was done to them, adding that it was unfortunate that the importance placed on crude oil and pipelines by the system had taken the place of the citizens of the country.
“The Chibok girls are the symbol to bring all of us back to what really matters in life, which is the human life, and not any material acquisition or any other thing,” she added.
The Senior Pastor, DCC, Sam Adeyemi, prayed for the release of the girls, assuring that the church would not stop praying for their release.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Source: Punch News